Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing 13. Online productivity tools

For a start page, iGoogle works best for me. I didn't see much difference with Pageflakes. Both sites allow you to add widgets that can be useful, but for the most part are time-wasting: poker? Bush-isms? C'mon. Not only is this stuff kinda silly, but look at what you have to do to get it on your page.


First off, it takes a while to go through the list of widgets, figuring what stuff would be coolest to have. Second, you gotta play with said widgets to see how they work. Third, you have to get 'em configured, allowing Active X controls, etc. Then you have to get all the widgets you've downloaded arranged on your page the way you like it. Productivity--I think not. So, for me, iGoogle gives me enough: a calendar (that works well, kinda ok), a to-do list, a news feed, weather info and a countdown 'til Bush is outta here--I need to have some fun, after all. Simple as that. I don't need to get a calendar or to-do prompt from other sites.


The problem I have with Google, nonetheless, is how nosy they are. I really dislike the 30-year tracking cookie; nor do I enjoy having my search results accessible for time enternal. I know you can turn off the tracking, but it bothers me that it's there in the first place. Unlike, say, Michael Stephens, I like to have some privacy when I'm online. If that's in any way possible anymore.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page