Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thing 12. Digg, etc.

I can see the usefulness of some of these sites. It's great having news and information from multiple media sources and websites fed to you, broken down by categories. Currently, I get the Digg RSS tech feed, one of many resources I use to keep up with tech trends. StumbleUpon is particularly interesting, too, with its feature of letting a person's indicated interests direct the info flow your way. Still, while I joined up, I don't use it much.

But the comments, reviews, whatever you want to call 'em on these sites!--face it, most of these folks are pretty lame. This often depends on the topic of course: there's a lot more yahoo-types posting on entertainment topics, then say, on those concerning business. But what good does it do me-- if the intent of these sites is to make information available along with 2.0 interaction--when the interaction is so S-T-O-O-P-I-D? Of course, this is a common criticism of 2.0 from those new dissers of the topic, like Andrew Keen and his Cult of the Amateur, who talks about the "superficial observations" and "shrill opinion(s)" of 2.0'ers--I'm not alone in making this point.

Still, I guess, it's good to hear what other people think: you can learn from 'em, even if some (or a lot) of what's being said may seem, well, stupid.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page